Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Wednesday Guestpost- Jenna

My name is Jenna. Friend of Moriah. Living in San Diego, but going to
Arizona. Mission in Argentina, Córdoba. Convert to the Church of Jesus
Christ of Latter-day Saints at 19 years. Anything else you want to
know?

Recently, I have discovered and reveled in tiny houses. What are tiny
houses, you might ask? They are houses under 200 square feet. Small
houses are between 1,000 and 200 square feet (I think), and the
average American home is 2,200 square feet. My first discovery of this
kind of house was a video tour of Jay Shafer’s tiny home. (Take a look
here. I’ve got time…: http://youtu.be/LJLSoUkh1Vs). He has lived in
tiny houses for the past 12 years and is the founder of the Tumbleweed
Tiny House Co. (http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/ Look under the
"Houses" tab)
Why should you be interested in tiny houses? First of all, most of us
have lived in tiny spaces. Apartments, shared housing, and dorm rooms
all contribute to our potential to live in a tiny space. Don’t just
write it off as, “Oh, I could never live in a tiny house. It’s too
small!” Tiny houses are beneficial in many ways. First, you don’t have
to clean as much. Second, you can take it with you on the road if you
have to relocate for jobs and changing lifestyles. Third, and most
important in my opinion, they are more environmentally friendly. The
reason houses are so big right now is because of the housing industry.
Square footage is the cheapest thing to add onto a house. But, it
takes more energy to heat a house and use all those appliances, not to
mention repairs.
I've always liked cozy spaces, and there was a time when I had a LOT
of material possessions. Since then, I have tried to scale down, and
now I am more comfortable with less and smaller. A tiny house isn’t
for everyone, especially growing families, but as my personal family
grows, I will seek to have just what I need and not much excess. It’s
good for my mind, good for my heart, and good for the environment.
Thank you.
(All photos are of Tumbleweed tiny houses)
Jenna K. Lindsay







Thanks Jenna! You are the coolest cat around. I've loved getting to know you:) This really is a fascinating subject. You have inspired me to go through my things and spring clean. The most important things in life aren't things!

2 comments:

  1. oh my gosh! your blog is absolutely adorable. :)

    thanks for the support over there on the right hand margin. ;)

    love, rach.
    www.so--hi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rachel! We are just getting started but it is a work in progress. Hey if you ever would be interested in doing a guestpost let us know!

      Delete