Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Wednesday Guestpost

Our funny, talented-writeresque friend Sarah stopped by to tell us about an American classic.

Sarah:




If be some chance you had been following my pins (of the pinterest variety) you would know that the bulk of my pins are superhero related. Yes, folks I am a superhero nerd and I am proud of that. I will tell you why I love superheroes. Comics are American mythology. Every great civilization has its myths of gods and feats of human strength. Most of the best comics were started right here on good ol’ American soil. The conflicts prolific and the villains are in some cases just as memorable as the heroes. The collection of our superheroes is just as diverse as America. We have legends about immigrants and outcasts. There is a hero for just about every taste. Not only the overall legend a contribution the American psyche but the art. I am not talking about the stuff with the top heavy girls and the gruesome stuff they spin now. I refer to the classic art drawn that looks more like Roy Lichtenstein work as opposed to some sick cross over from the Saw movies. Also there are the Art Deco and minimalist interpretations available in prints and merchandising. I love it all. The aesthetic and the story are enough to garner my attention but if the story content wasn’t good it would have remained feasible in the market place.

I firmly believe that most people have a sense and love of justice. There are few feelings better than seeing a criminal receive justice. In our non-fictional world that doesn’t always happen. However superhero media provides not only escape but some sense that justice hasn’t been jilted. Also girls LOVE superheroes. Selena Kyle is only interested in Batman not Bruce Wayne. Mary Jane has much great intent on Spiderman while Peter Parker is somehow portrayed as a consolation prize. I submit that girls who currently worship at the altar of Twilight should consider a jump to team superhero. News flash superheroes don’t try to eat you, are a lot more useful protection wise, are not pale like unto a meth addict and seldom smell of dogs. If you are going to have a fantasy about a fiction character can he at least have a chiseled jaw line? Also, I have had a lot more success conversing with actual guys about superheroes than I have with Twilight but I digress.
Aside from my glowing recommendation of the superhero sphere I have beef with current creative output. The superhero movies rake in the money and incite a fair amount of interest. You think that corporate response would be more market friendly the marginal licensed products. I am more than willingly to try to familiarize myself with superheroes at the original source, the comic books.

Currently I get to choose between the half breed child of UFC and Playboy or something with the artistry of a sweaty armpit pooped out for children who have yet to develop a sense of culture. I think that is would be wise for mainstream companies like Marvel and DC to have a “return to virtue” and produce something for the masses like they used too. I shouldn’t have to choose between being a 30 year old pervert in my mother's basement and a snot nosed 4-year-old terrorist. If companies want to survive in more the niche markets they are doing to have to at least have a vein of their output be dedicated to more mainstream product that doesn’t have such violence and nudity as to make the average American want to vomit.


Thanks Sarah for this hilarious take on superheros. We haven't always been the biggest fans, but you may have converted us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment