Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Wednesday Guestpost-Mary

Mary:
Mary is a cool cat friend of Moriah's sister and a jazzy redhead.




It all began 14 years ago. I was 3, and my mom was a schoolteacher. She found many of her students that fall reading a specific book by a British author. She decided to see what was getting her students to read (one of the things she’s always trying to do, even today). So she picked up a copy and changed my life forever.

The first book of Harry Potter came out in the U.S. in 1998. My mother found it a great story, and wanted to share it with my father and myself. So she got the audio tapes and we listened to it on car trips. So began my love affair with Harry Potter. At first I was resistant, I was a stubborn child, I admit. I didn’t like anything that wasn’t Playhouse Disney. But then I started listening, REALLY listening, and soon, Jim Dale and J.K. Rowling had me under a spell.

I waited with high anticipation for every book as they each came out. I remember getting ready for dinner and asking my mother, “Is Harry coming for dinner tonight?” Our code for, “Are we going to listen to the audiotapes during dinner?” I was in love with Harry; I admit it, and I still am. Then the movies started coming out, and I saw my obsession come to life. My friends and I would make up imaginary “fanfic” games about life at Hogwarts all the time.

Finally, book seven, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out. I was scared, for as soon as we finished this book, it would be all over. Sure, there were two or three movies still to come, but we would know what was coming. The anticipation, the anxiousness, the epic life story of my childhood fangirl love would all come to a close. It felt like my childhood was dying.

The last book was the best, if you ask me. It left me with tears and the satisfaction that “All was well.” It was exactly how I wanted it to end. Even now, my heart seems full and emotional; pitter-pattering with the pleasure that it still gives me.

I can’t imagine life without Harry. Even now, after 7 books and 8 movies, Harry Potter has meant more to me than any other books series ever. Even though the series is completed, I will not stop loving Harry. He will be a part of my life and my family’s life forever. Harry Potter has been my dream world, my fantasy, my everything. The past 14 years have made my imagination soar, my dreams reach the stars, and my heart find a home. I know that the sentiment is true, “Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.” Such has been the story of a true Potterhead.

  Thanks Mary! We love Harry Potter also, and it was so sad when it all ended. The magic will live on when we read to our kids someday.



No comments:

Post a Comment