Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Wednesday Guest Post with Erik

Erik P:

This, I Believe
Once upon a time I wrote an essay in tears because of the divorce of my parent and the cancer of my sister. Through much of this I desired emotional support and friend that would listen to my troubles seeing as though I had none at the time that seemed open minded enough to hear me out. So, I vented all my ambition and hopes on to a piece of paper. I remember it was in English class my sophomore year when I began to weep when I was informed of something called “This, I Believe.” In a internal storm of emotion, upon hearing this, I reached an eye in a hurricane of raw humanity. I knew what I wanted to do. I began to write and through it I healed myself... this is that paper that I wrote in that class:
Many have wondered what it would really take to be accepted by all. The truth is that one must simply appear human. But the moment you open your mouth is when you curse yourself to being judged by your peers. It's all OK. Don't worry about such things. As long as you follow a few simple rules about life and social acceptance, you will be fine. These characteristics are as such:

The Caring Soul
The Loving Heart
The Gentle Mind
The Open Arms

The Caring Soul belongs to those that are genuinely interested in what their friends do and say. They support the ideas that they think that are cool and often help by taking the idea to the next level. They are careful about what they say and try not to offend anyone. They lift up their friends when they had just given up and set them back on track. In times of stress they will try to make everyone else feel OK.

The Loving Heart belongs to those that have more than just a friendship riding on their backs. They have a much more stable heavier relationship that, despite all of it's tendencies to perhaps get awkward, They still say each other that our friendship is not worth throwing away for some short lived romance. They believe that with the love that they have for each other they are more than boy or girlfriend; they are friends which, in many ways, is much better.

The Gentle Mind belongs to those who have restless thoughts for the safety of their friends. They find out the problem and immediately try to help them. Many people have the Gentle Mind, although, the Gentle Mind never think of itself when their friends are in need. Good listeners and poets alike have caring thoughts for their friends and family. Taking the inspiration of their friends and turning it into a masterpiece of falling words, feelings and deeds, is what they do best.

Lastly, The Open Arms belongs those with all three of the key characteristics. They show their friends they love them each day and just have fun with life. They are usually light hearted and look for the best. These are the kind that would jump in front of cars for their friends. They deeply care enough to lie down their lives for them and would do it any day of the week. They always have a smile and look forward to the best in life and when in then best in life (which is often) they live in the moment and take that time to tell their friends they love them.

I'm in no way saying I'm like any of this. The only message that I wish to send is that the friend is of the greatest of people to happen in anyone’s life. Falling through darkness alone is scary, but when you are holding hands with the people you care about and are most comfortable with then you will be able to make it.
Do not do this for yourself... do this for your friends and always remember that you are a great and so are they. Do this with an unselfish mind and remember who you are, for your true friends love you for that. I am blessed to have many friends... that show everyday this aspect in their lives. I love them... and this is the very purpose of this note. To genuinely thank all those who have been there for me and to make a promise to them by trying to be like the friend that i have just described.
Both in person and in prayer. Both in thought and in deed. Both in heart and instinct. Both in soul and with love.
With the utmost of sincerity of heart, soul, mind and hands,
Erik Jordan Phillips
It's often been stated that things are not always what they seem. What is perceived to be confusing and of little consequence to all others, does, in fact, have a bit of an effect that ripple out and somehow, someway touch the lives of others. This is a story of a confused kid and how he was healed through those ripples of unlikely comfort and placidity. Although he looked sad on the outside, he was peering hopefully through the clouds in his soul. Of passion and pressure and three simple words was this boy brought to an incline of good faith and eventually nurtured to great potential. The words were: This, I Believe.

This is Erik :)





Thank you Erik P., you have inspired us to be better friends and listeners. Keep wearing your wild suspenders and hats- never listen to anyone who tells you that they are not rockin'!!

No comments:

Post a Comment